Volunteer Deputy Registrar Information
Attention: All Volunteer Deputy Registrar certificates are valid from January 1, 2023 through December 31, 2024
How to become a Volunteer Deputy Registrar
If you would like to serve as a Volunteer Deputy Registrar for El Paso County, you have a few options:
- Walk-in Training: Our office will continue to deputize walk-in’s Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; excluding holidays. The training should take approximately 20 minutes to complete.
- In-Person Class Training: Our office is currently offering in-person class trainings. The training should take approximately one hour to complete and classes will be offered once a month. For locations, dates and times and to sign up for a class training, please visit 2023 Volunteer Deputy Registrar-Class Registration.
- Virtual Training: We are currently offering virtual trainings for local groups, organizations and businesses. If interested, send us an email at email@example.com. Note: Attendees will need access to Microsoft Teams in order to get credit and receive their certification.
- Certification from Another Texas County: If you took the training as a Volunteer Deputy Registrar in another Texas County, stop by our office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and bring your Volunteer Deputy Registrar certificate. We will make a copy for our records and provide you with your El Paso County certificate and supplies.
- Private Training: We are currently offering private trainings for local groups, organizations and businesses. Your organization must provide a training room at a facility of your choice that will accommodate all attendees and trainer(s). In order to reserve the date and time, please complete the Volunteer Deputy Registrar Training Request Form. Please email the executed request form to Marco A. Covarrubias, M.Covarrubias@epcounty.com. Our office must receive your request at least two weeks prior to the training.
Note: After every voter registration deadline, no virtual or private trainings will be scheduled until five business days after every election.
What is a Volunteer Deputy Registrar?
Volunteer Deputy Registrars are allocated with the responsibility of officially registering voters in the State of Texas. They administer voter registration applications and take responsibility for making sure the citizen completes the application correctly so there is no delay in processing.
What are the qualifications?
To be appointed a Volunteer Deputy Registrar, a person must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a United States Citizen
- Not have been determined by a final judgement of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
3.1 Totally mentally incapacitated, or
3.2. Partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
- Never have been convicted of failing to deliver a Voter Registration Application to a Voter Registrar
- Not have been convicted of a felony, or, if convicted must have:
5.1. Fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court, or
5.2. Be pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote.
- Not have been finally convicted of identity theft under Section 32.51 of the Penal Code
- Be a resident of the State of Texas
What are the duties of a Volunteer Deputy Registrar?
A Volunteer Deputy Registrar may distribute and accept a Voter Registration Application form from any resident of El Paso County, Texas and distribute and accept applications from voters who wish to change or correct information on his/her Voter Registration Certificate (such as name and/or address).
What is the length of appointment?
You may be appointed at any time. Volunteer Deputy Registrar appointments made during 2023-2024 expire December 31, 2024. By law, all Volunteer Deputy Registrar appointments expire on December 31 of even-numbered years. Your appointment may be terminated by the appointing authority if you fail to properly review a Voter Registration Application. Your appointment as a Volunteer Deputy Registrar will be terminated by the appointing authority if:
- You fail to deliver a completed Voter Registration Application to the Voter Registrar, or
- You are finally convicted of an offense under the law relating to performance-based compensation for Voter Registration Applications.
What forms do I need to complete prior to the training?
The following forms will be provided by our office staff. Should you desire to complete both forms prior to the training, you can do so. The Certificate of Appointment for Volunteer Deputy Registrar will be signed by the El Paso County Voter Registrar upon completion of the training.
- 2023-2024 Request for Appointment as a Volunteer Deputy Registrar
- 2023-2024 Certificate of Appointment for Volunteer Deputy Registrar
2023-2024 El Paso County Volunteer Deputy Registrar Training
2023-2024 El Paso County Volunteer Deputy Registrar Guide
Fall 2023-Volunteer Deputy Registrar In-Person Class Schedule
Volunteer Deputy Registrar Training Request Form
Texas Volunteer Deputy Registrar Guide