Volunteer Deputy Registrar Information
What is a Volunteer Deputy Registrar?
Volunteer Deputy Registrars are allocated with the responsibility of officially registering voters in the State of Texas. They administer voter registration applications and take responsibility for making sure the citizen completes the application correctly so there is no delay in processing.
What are the qualifications?
To be appointed a Volunteer Deputy Registrar, a person must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be a United States Citizen;
- Not have been determined by a final judgement of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
3.1. Totally mentally incapacitated, or;
3.2. Partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.
- Never have been convicted of failing to deliver a Voter Registration Application to a Voter Registrar;
- Not have been convicted of a felony, or, if convicted must have:
5.1. Fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court, or;
5.2. Be pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote.
- Not have been finally convicted of identity theft under Section 32.51 of the Penal Code; and
- Be a resident of the State of Texas.
What are the duties of a Volunteer Deputy Registrar?
A Volunteer Deputy Registrar may distribute and accept a Voter Registration Application form from any resident of El Paso County, Texas and distribute and accept applications from voters who wish to change or correct information on his/her Voter Registration Certificate (such as name and/or address).
What is the length of appointment?
You may be appointed at any time. Volunteer Deputy Registrar appointments made during 2017-2018 expire at the end of 2018. By law, all Volunteer Deputy Registrar appointments expire on Dec. 31 of even-numbered years. Your appointment may be terminated by the appointing authority if you fail to properly review a voter registration application. Your appointment as a Volunteer Deputy Registrar will be terminated by the appointing authority if:
- You fail to deliver a completed Voter Registration Application to the Voter Registrar; or
- You are finally convicted of an offense under the law relating to performance-based compensation for Voter Registration Applications.
How to become a Volunteer Deputy Registrar
- Click Here/Haga Clic Aquí to view the 2017-2018 Volunteer Deputy Registrar class schedule. Note: Classes will be cancelled a day before should no one register online or by calling our office at (915) 546-2154.
- Click here to register for one of our Volunteer Deputy Registrar classes.
- Complete the Request for Appointment as a Volunteer Deputy Registrar, once completed please bring with you ready to turn in to the Voter Registrar.
- If you are eligible, the Voter Registrar will issue you a Certificate of Appointment and give you a receipt book.
I want to request a private class for my organization?
The El Paso County Elections Department will continue to deputize walk-in’s in our office located at 500 E. San Antonio Avenue, Suite #314, El Paso, Texas 79901 every Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays and election cycle. Groups of a minimum of 30 participants requesting a private class must contact Melissa Rosales two weeks in advance at (915) 546-2154.
In order to reserve the date for your organization, please complete the Volunteer Deputy Registrar Training Request Form (PDF), scan it and fax it to Melissa Rosales at (915) 546-2220 or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note: After every voter registration deadline, no classes will be available until after the election. Requests for private classes will resume five business days after every election).
Training for El Paso County Volunteer Deputy Registrars (PDF)
Volunteer Deputy Registrar Guide (Brochure)
Volunteer Deputy Registrar FAQ's (Brochure)
Texas Volunteer Deputy Registrar Guide
The El Paso County Elections Department will continue to deputize walk-in’s in our office located at:
500 E. San Antonio Avenue, Suite #314
El Paso, Texas, 79901
*Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays and election cycle.