Poll Worker Information
Become a Poll Worker!
El Paso County is looking for Presiding Judges & Election Clerks also known as Poll Workers. As explained below, these positions are temporary and available only during an election cycle.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Qualifying the voter;
- Assisting voters with voting process;
- Assisting and/or managing the opening and closing of the election polls;
- Be available to work on Election Day from 6:00 a.m. until approximately 8:00 p.m.
To be qualified, at a minimum you must:
- Be 18 years or older and a registered voter for El Paso County;
- Be familiar with computers;
- Not hold an elected office nor be an employee of an elected official;
- Be able to take direction well and not be easily distracted;
- Enjoy interactions with people;
- Have dependable transportation to the election polls;
- Be able to lift and carry at least 30 lbs. and stand for long periods of time;
- Be able to report to assigned poll by 6:00 a.m. until approximately 8:00 p.m.;
- Be available 12-14 hours on Election Day, or as directed by the authority conducting the election;
- Be available to work different lengths of time and at different hours during the election cycle.
For Presiding Judge Position Only: Presiding Judges, are public officials and public officers. Pursuant to the Texas Government Code, Chapter 573, public officers are prohibited from appointing family members within the first, second and third degrees by consanguinity or affinity to positions directly compensated from public funds.
I’m interested in becoming a Presiding Judge or Alternate Judge. What do I do?
Prospective Election Judges are also encouraged to contact one of the two political parties in El Paso County for possible nomination to work as a Presiding Judge or Alternate Judge. Nominations are made in June of each year, so please contact the political party of your choice. Contact information is listed below:
El Paso County Democratic Party
1401 E. Montana Ave., Suite E
El Paso, Texas 79902
Phone: (915) 239-3077
El Paso County Republican Party
120 Paragon Lane, Suite 220
El Paso, Texas 79912
Phone: (915) 842-8255
I’m interested in becoming a Poll Worker. What do I do?
If you are interested in working as a Poll Worker please complete the “Poll Worker Interest Form” available below. Should you have any questions once you submit your information please contact our office at (915) 546-2154 or at email@example.com.
Qualifying Voters on Election Day–Handbook for Election Judges and Clerks (Revised January 2020) (PDF)
Disclosure: This Poll Worker Interest Form is for informational purposes only. Nothing in this form, nor in any prior or subsequent written or oral statement, creates a contract of employment or any rights in the nature of a guaranteed assignment. These positions are not permanent or full time; they are available only during the election cycle. Employment will be only on a as-needed basis, and a position will not be assured until confirmation of an assignment including where and when you will report by an Elections Department representative.
Should you have any questions or would like more information on how to become a Poll Worker in El Paso County please contact our office at (915) 546-2154 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.